Friday, January 21, 2011

Mere Curiosity

I've just read this insightful little editorial by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, addressing what to do when you feel you can no longer do the thing you do. Or, how to get your passion back. She explains that when faced with a sudden aversion to writing, she picked up an interest - gardening - something she was curious about but involved no pressure to do, and did that until she found she could write again.

I do this all the time. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've led a life of exploring curiosities. I find though, that not only is this excellent for when you have lost your passion, but is distracting and nourishing when faced with any kind trauma or dilemma, which is why I am posting it here. For Gran, but also for the rest of us, who in our love for Gran, feel like we've little lost a little of ourselves at the moment. Misplaced, is probably a better term, and like the name of that person you just can't remember, it'll come back if you can take your mind of it a bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment